Friday, October 10, 2008

Man Purse

After our trip to New York, Rob asked me to make him a bag to hold his ear plugs, travel pillow and sleep mask. He wanted something he could pull out of his back pack and pop into the seat pocket on the plane. He refers to it as his ‘satchel.’ I call it his man purse.

I chose a stretchy yarn because I suspect the number of items he wants to place in the bag will expand. I’m 98% certain his iPod will be going in here and maybe some aspirin. The ribbed finish at the top of the bag ensures that, even with the drawstring open, the items inside will not fall out on their own. I like to tie the ends of the drawstring together with a half knot to keep the bag even more securely closed.

This is a quick knit ideal for the beginner looking to advance beyond squares. It’s also great for an experienced knitter who wants to do some stash reduction.


Originally this pattern appeared in the last issue of Essentia, the newsletter put out by the now-defunt Black Purl Magazine. It was supposed to be archived on the site, but since that hasn't happened yet (and I know L'Tanya is swamped), I decided to make it available here.

Skill Level
Beginner

Size
Finished bag measures 8 ½” by 4 ½” (21 ½ cm by 11 ½ cm)

Materials
MC: Gedifra Top Soft; 40% Viscose, 40% Polyamide; 20% Silk; 1.75 oz /50 gm 103 yds/ 95 m; color: 6514 (black): 1 skein
CC: GGH Linova; 74% cotton, 26% linen; 1.75 oz /50 gm 110 yds/ 101 m; color 26 (red): 1 skein
1 set size 7 (4.5) mm dpns
1 set size 9 dpns

Gauge
21 sts and 26 rows in st st in MC on larger needles equals 4” (10cm)

Bottom:
Using CC, cast on 25 sts onto smaller needles.
Work 8 rows in garter stitch.

Sides:
Pick up 3 sts along short edge of work, 25 sts on long edge of work and 3 sts on last short edge. Distribute over 3 dpns. Place marker. Work one round in in st st.

Switch to MC and larger needles. Work in st st until piece measures 6 ¼”.

Using CC, work 3 rows in st st.

Eyelet Round:
k2, k2tog yo for entire round.

Work 3 rows in st st.
Switch to MC work 5 rows in 3 X 1 rib. Bind off in pattern.

Drawstring:
Using MC and smaller needles work a 3 st icord until it measures 18”. Leave on needles
Leading with the cast on edge, weave icord through holes created in eyelet round. Using a second dpn, pick up 3 sts at cast on end of icord. Use 3 needle bind off to attach end of icord to picked up sts.

Finishing
Weave in all loose ends. Fill with travel necessities. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its very man like and manly!!!! thats so weird!!!!!!! Umm.......... Im going to go now ans make my own man purse

Anonymous said...

mee too it will make more manly

Anonymous said...

thats for sure I think I'll go do it too! let's have a man purse making party

Knitting by Leah said...

I love the idea of a Man's Purse. How long does it usually take to knit? Can it be used also for shopping?

Ms. Nidoog said...

@Knitting by Leah, It takes a couple of hours to make. It's not very big, so not so great for shopping.

Deborah Jennings said...

I love this! I think I am going to make one for me instead of hubby. I don't think he'd use it, but he might surprise me. He has before on more than one occasion. I do love the colors of this. I think the only thing I will change is the length of the draw strings. =) Thank you so much for sharing!

VamiricArtist said...

Interesting pattern

Izzy 13 said...

I love this design and I'd love to knit it but
I am new to knitting and I'm clueless about dpns, but I have used circular needles, can the design be knit using circular needles instead? Thanks.